How to glue ceiling moldings: types of skirting and video guide
- 09 Jul 09:00
- Construction And Repair
moldings (fillet, curb or baguette) - a wonderful decorative element, allowing to close the gaps that occur between the wall and the ceiling, and decorate the room.Sometimes it is impossible to tell from the way stucco, meanwhile it is much cheaper, and easy to be installed.In the presence of the border the ceiling becomes a finished appearance, looks neat and impressive.Before gluing ceiling moldings, must take into account a number of nuances and carefully read the installation technology, as further stages will be set forth in the article.
Varieties of decorative moldings ↑
Skirting boards come in different textures and widths can be concave (having longitudinal recesses), raised to be embellished with different patterns, laminated (a smooth surface).Fillets mainly produce polyur
Almost polyurethane moldings ↑
Polyurethane borders are considered the most high-quality and most expensive of all kinds of moldings.Polyurethane - a lightweight, durable material, resistant to temperature changes, moisture resistant, elastic, does not absorb odors, durable (serves up to 30 years), does not emit harmful substances, does not rot, it can be painted in any color completely.But skirting of it can not be used near the lighting, heating devices.Fillets are produced from a foamed weight of polystyrene, the heated steam to increase in volume, thereby forming flat blocks.Thus, the polystyrene foam is 98% of the air, so it is very easy.
decorative moldings made of it in a modern style, baroque, classical, Rococo, Empire and others.They may be straight, wide and narrow, patterned, may, for example, the waveform of a plant or other raised shape.Because polystyrene manufactured decorative elements are the same as gypsum, but only a few times easier, so installing ceiling moldings of this material is not difficult even for the fair sex.
Budget PVC skirting ↑
PVC plinth - an economical option.He preferred, if not enough money to buy a polyurethane fillets.PVC curbs steam produced by heating polystyrene pellets placed in a special form.Among the advantages of this kind of flexibility can be distinguished fillets (mounted on the floor and the ceiling), durability, moisture resistance, mechanical resistance, ease of installation.However, polystyrene skirting boards, they can not use in the vicinity of lighting, heating devices, in areas with low temperatures.Apply PVC borders as decoration and function like a barrier against dirt and dust.On the market a wide range of different bas-relief designs, patterns and colors that mimic various types of wood, natural stone decorative moldings made of PVC.
binding process - Preparation ↑
Before you start to cut and paste borders, need to prepare - to calculate their quantity and purchase the necessary material.
- calculation amount.First we need to calculate the right amount of ceiling moldings.Here is an example.Assume room dimensions 3 m x 5 m, the perimeter - 16 m, respectively.The standard length of the fillet 1 - 2 meters.Perimeter length (16m) should be divided by the length of the fillet (2m).Poduchaetsya that you must purchase 8 baseboards.In any case, especially if you kleite ceiling plinth for the first time, it is recommended to buy another quirk.
- Purchase plinth.When buying, keep in mind that the lower the ceiling, the plinth must have, as a visually make the room below.It is also important that it was combined with the walls.If the walls with a pattern and ornament, then they will approach the smooth plinth, but a blank wall, you can pick up fillet with texture and pattern.Here are just a compacted granular and major curbs difficult to paint, beads are usually visible after painting.When buying, be careful, especially, take care that you do not have got crumpled and scratched items.Ask pack them inside out not to accidentally damage.
- Buying glue.Before you stick the ceiling moldings, of course, need to buy glue.Suitable acrylic or polyvinyl acetate.Acrylic Adhesive better fill all the bumps and cracks, it is white in color and is packaged in a special tube under the gun.But this kind of glue, there is one drawback - it is a long time to set.Polyvinyl acetate adhesives are packaged in bottles (1 liter, 0.25 and 0.5 liters).It is transparent, very viscous, adheres well to the plinth and the mounting surface (concrete, wallpaper, tile, PVC panels, MDF and so on.).At home, it is better to use a polyvinyl acetate glue.Suit such adhesives as "Titan", "Eco-naset", "Moment" and others.
If the ceiling or wall is very uneven, it is recommended to purchase additional clips - masking tape, various stops, sewing needle and fix with them plinth,until the glue dries.
is also advisable to buy acrylic elastic putty, putty to all joints and cracks baseboards.
Important!You can not mount the plinth on PVA and liquid nails.
plinth Installation instructions on the ceiling ↑
You will need:
- miter box;
- hacksaw blade or paint;
- acrylic coating;
- small spatula;
- grained sandpaper;
- paint and a brush (if you decide to paint the baseboard).
Consider stickers border procedure in stages:
- markup. When all the materials are bought, it is advisable to make a drawing, which should specify how the skirting will be located on the ceiling.Take this for an ordinary notebook in a cage and paint your ceiling a piece of paper at a scale of 1 m to 4 cells.Then lay the fillet along the walls, a tape measure and mark plinths in the places where they need to be shortened.
- Cutting all baseboards. answer to the question how to cut corners ceiling moldings will be the most difficult in the whole installation technology.Usually they prirezajut 45 c., So that they can be joined in the corners of rooms.You will need such a device as a miter box (special box in which there are slots at the desired angle).It can be bought in every more or less large hardware store.This tool has a number of slots corresponding to a certain angle.It is necessary to place a curb in the miter box at an angle of 45 degrees.and carefully saw through it with a hacksaw, and then sanded the ends.If it neatly do not work, you have to buy a ready-made corner pieces and glue them on top of the curb on the joints.
- Cutting skirting. fillet cut with a hacksaw or a paint knife edge after a cut cleaned.
- determine which side to glue the plinth. make a mark on the wall, indicating the height of the plinth.Then take one leaf fillet and apply it around the room by the marked line first wide and then narrow side to the ceiling in turn.So you will be able to reveal the rough places and choose the best option gluing.
- application of adhesive bonding .The adhesive is applied with a spatula or a gun to the back side and edges fillets and gently pressed against the wall and ceiling of the marked line.Spatula remove the excess glue.This technique is repeated, slowly moving around the perimeter of the room.Then all the joints are sealed acrylic plinth filler, shading her wet fingers.
- Staining plinth. Border color day after installation.This procedure is optional, if desired, is executed for a better aesthetic effect.Suitable acrylic or latex paint.Gently brush paints the baseboards before wallpapering.
Note!You must first cut at 45 degrees.angle and then to adjust the plinth length.If you first cut off lengthwise, then any error in the trim angle that will result in the formation of cracks in the dock, plinth have to throw out.If you do it right, and crop the original angle, it will be in the order and length of the border, you will not miss.
How gluing ceiling moldings: Video ↑
summarize, we note that the answer to the question of how to glue the skirting boards on the ceiling does not apply to the category of highly complex construction.With this technology can handle even a novice.So it's safe to proceed to gluing, after carefully review all of the recommendations for installation.