How to paint a wooden house outside for long service facade
- 09 Jul 01:30
- Construction And Repair
The very first house in which a man was trying to establish a way of life, was a cave.Much later, everything for your home people started to use trees that have a number of advantages.Wood has low thermal conductivity, excellent retains heat and is capable of for several decades to maintain its performance characteristics.Unfortunately, we did not know before that the wooden house in need of protection, which is why many monuments of culture have not been able to live up to our days.If the people at the time knew what to paint a wooden house that he apparently looked excellent, and at the same time was protected from a variety of bugs and microbes, they likely would use the tips that you can read in this article.
Why a tree grows old?↑
First, let's understand why wooden houses begin to collapse.
Firstly, we must still understand that a tree - a living material, which in any case is subject to aging (aging because people too).But we, unlike trees can somehow affect the aging process, using various medications, vitamins, lotions, etc.Trees anything like this can not do, and only man is able to help them stay young.
Secondly, the construction wood affected by multiple environmental factors , such as water, solar radiation and all sorts of small insects, along with mold and mildew.All these natural "disasters" (as for wood, these minor troubles really are) destroying the surface of the wood, causing it coarsens, turn gray, and its fibers lose their strength and "stand on its hind legs."These negative effects can be seen in just a few weeks after it was built a new house.
Precipitation in the form of rain and snow at first cause wood to swell, and after drying it takes a backlash.As a result, cracks appear on the surface, within which the fungus begins to grow, and this small dirty dog may have a different incarnation.For example, the fungus and blue mold fungus hardly have any damaging effects on the structure of wood, except that spoil the appearance.But the rot fungus has a "stealth" - he develops inside, so it is difficult to notice.
Third, it is not necessary to lower the bills and bark beetles , which in 2-3 years can sleep in peace in your home, and you will not even suspect about such neighbors.But when they wake up, you will not be good.
Fourth, the atmospheric load affect the wooden buildings located in coastal areas or in open spaces, far more than those at home who are at a good distance from the source of moisture and are protected by other buildings or forest.In addition, the north side of the building is much less susceptible to negative influences than the south and west.
As you can see, the reasons for the aging of the wood is more than enough.But to help her all you can, if you use the right paint.
paint for a new wooden house ↑
So you built a new wooden house and now want to paint.But the paint outside the house?What kind of paint to use for these purposes?Let's deal.
preliminary stage - careful preparation ↑
Before staining, you need to carefully prepare the surface of the wood, because it is, as mentioned above, the "live", breathable material and not trivial concrete or brick.This preliminary stage allows you to create the necessary framework through which improves the adhesion of paint to the surface and significantly increases the durability of the finished coating.
- With garden sprayer and not too stiff brush to remove wood dust and various small inclusions.The water is much better absorbs the dust, than if you just walked through the brush across the surface.
- You might notice mold on the tree or blue.In this case, it is necessary to remove the special tool (by the way, there is an excellent drug in Tikkurily).
- resin (if any) must also remove the metal spatula and place where it was to cover the nail knots (it will be smoother).
- various metal parts, such as nail heads, screws and other, you need to cover the primer on metal.
- complete this work, you must give the wood to rest for a half or two weeks, covering her film.Do not forget to leave a hole for ventilation in warm weather, you can even remove the "blanket".
- If the tree is moist, and dry it is not possible, then right on a wet surface can be applied antiseptic zakolerovanny primer and leave the house alone as long as it does not get a chance to dry.
better to paint the wood?↑
Still, some paint to paint a wooden house?For these purposes, you can buy three types of coatings:
- acrylic paint, oil paint
antiseptics have a high penetrating power.Depth of penetration - 4-7 mm.This allows you to securely protect the wood surface from all atmospheric loads, mold and rot.They are coating and glazing.Glazing antiseptics are transparent, which means that they not only retain the texture of wood, but also give it a noble, natural shade.
Opaque antiseptics completely hide the texture of wood, while maintaining its relief.
Acrylic paint characterized by high weather resistance and perfectly retain their color and gloss for a long time.In addition, this paint allows wood to breathe, and then your home will be "alive".Presence in the paint acrylate and elasticity that allows you to "live" the paint in the same rhythm as the house, that is, it does not crack from all sorts of distortions.
Naturally, any, even the most expensive and high-quality paint, sooner or later will require an update.When there comes that moment?
- average life of glazing antiseptics about 5 years, although this figure can vary both in the large and in the smaller side.
- from the coating antiseptics - up to 7 years;
- from acrylic paint - up to 10 years;
- from oil paints - up to 6 years.
These figures, of course, approximate - you should see when your house will lose its original appearance.
How to paint a new wooden surface ↑
special skills to paint on wood is not required, but still there are some nuances that you have to consider when performing this work.
- priming.Antiseptic primer is very important to protect the wood from fungus, mold, and blue.If you suddenly decide that you can omit this point and immediately go to the stain, then two years later (and perhaps earlier) you will regret it.Do not skimp on the antiseptic, because it can significantly extend the life of the finished coating.
- paint application.The first and most important rule - you need to apply paint to completely dry surface and in several layers (2-3 layers will be enough).Each layer must be dried.
Terms paint on a wooden surface:
- should be periodically stir the paint to shade it was always the same;
- put a paint brush is best, because in this way you can achieve uniform staining wood, but do not overdo it with paint;
- for better brushing can use the color scheme for the primer, then the color will be perfect;
- not paint the wooden surface under the scorching rays of the sun - the paint dries too quickly, which is not desirable.The most favorable weather for painting works - warm, cloudy and windless;
- and paint and antiseptic should be applied only in the longitudinal direction;
- end of the logs and planks are the weakest link in their - water in these places very quickly absorbed.To avoid rapid decay and possible destruction due to high humidity, the ends need to carefully handle the multiple layers of the primer and the coating material.
stained old wooden house ↑
Before staining need to carefully examine the surface of your home - perhaps somewhere something has fallen off and that something needs immediate repair.In addition, western and southern part of the house more often quickly lose their attractive appearance, because it is necessary for these parties the most negative influences on the part of Mother Nature.
Perhaps you're limited to painting only those places that are most "worn out" and can decide to completely repaint all and dramatically change color.
If repainting must adhere to the following rules - either use the same paint (meaning the manufacturer) or the same type of paint, which you malyarnichali last time.
What if you bought a house and did not know what he was painted early?Then you can try on their own to determine the type of paint product.This is done visually.
- acrylic paint looks and feels like a thin skin.It usually cracks in the direction of the fibers.
- oil paint with time and becomes dull when touched can leave a light chalk mark on the skin.Crack it across the grain, or cells.
- glazing antiseptics over time become thinner.If the surface is glossy, it is possible to paint the house antiseptic same or darker color or even oil paint.If traces of antiseptic virtually invisible, you can use acrylic paint.
Besides visual assessment of the surface, you can spend a little experiment: to tear off a piece of old paint and roll it into a roll.If it folds easily, so the house was painted with acrylic paint, and if it just crumbled in your hands, it's oil-based paint.
How to paint a house with an old paint ↑
Preparing wooden facade ↑
If there is mold, it must be removed with a special solution, and for better adhesion of paint to the surface of the wood, it can be further treated with an alkaline detergent.
old, rough and rotten planks replaced with new ones, or they will spoil all the work your unpresentable appearance.
paint can be removed with scrapers, wire brushes or chemical means, but if it keeps well and does not peel off, it can leave.By the way, a mechanical way to remove old paint is preferable, if you want to complete all the work as quickly as possible, but if you have time, car and small truck, you can use the method of "chemical peel".This version is much better preserves the texture of wood, but it takes a lot of time, but the result will definitely appreciate - the surface of the wood will be like new.
Additionally, you can carry out grinding, of course, if it is required.
Next act in the same way that is offered for new wooden surfaces.
Video instruction: the sequence of work, recommendations ↑
consolidate information and to obtain new and useful information to help detailed video instruction with a description of the process and guidelines for the selection of consumables:
Well, perhaps, and all you needto know those who are looking for an answer to the question of what to paint wooden house outside.Adhering to these rules, you can keep your home beautiful and "healthy" for many years.